top of page
Language in Action.png



  • An umbrella, sunglasses, t-shirts, a raincoat, and a couple of jumpers. The weather can change quickly in London, so it’s best to be prepared.

  • A travel adaptor. In Britain the electrical supply is 3-pin 240 volts.

  • Any medicine that you regularly take and details of specific medical conditions that require monitoring.

  • A laptop computer, if you have one. Wi-fi is provided and students are able to connect to the LAN network by cable. 

  • A mobile phone charger

  • A towel

  • A toothbrush

  • Soap and Shampoo

  • A pen, pencil and notepad

  • An English dictionary

  • Travel insurance document


Estimates vary as to how much students should budget for, and London, like other cities, can be as expensive as personal taste dictates.

Below is information on the average cost of living in the UK per week. Remember this is just an example and costs vary from person to person, depending on your lifestyle.

If you wish to check how much these costs are in your own currency then have a look at

Below is more specific information on the costs of certain items in the UK. Prices are based on average supermarket prices and can be either higher or lower depending on quality. Find more information about transportation cost on

Average transport cost per month


Combo meal at fast food restaurant


School optional social programme


Average food cost per month



  • The UK currency is the pound sterling (£).

  • There are 100 pence in £1.

  • Pennies (pence) come in 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p and 50p pieces.

  • There is also a £1 and £2 coin.

  • All sterling coins feature a portrait of the Queen’s head on one side.

  • Bank notes come in £5, £10, £20 and £50.

  • They are legal tender in England and Wales but are generally accepted throughout the UK, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Queen’s head on one side.

Foreign Currency

Foreign currency can be easily changed into sterling at Banks, Post Offices, Travel agents and Bureau de Changes.


All towns will have at least one facility where you will be able to exchange your money.


It is worth shopping around for exchange rates as they can vary and also ask if they charge commission. A lot of Bureau de Changes now offer 0% commission.


Exchange rates for the most popular currencies will be displayed on a board and travel agents tend to have this board on display in their shop window.


To view current exchange rates you may find the following websites useful:


To make an international call

Dial 00 + the country code + the area code + the number

To call the international operator

Dial 155

To call the operator in your country

Dial 0800 89 00 + your country code

To call directory enquiries

Dial 118247

To call the emergency services
(Fire Police Ambulance)

Dial 999 or 112 from a mobile phone


  • Cars can come from the left or right so make sure you look both ways when you are crossing the road.

  • Look to the right. Look to the left, then look to the right again.

  • Stop, Look, Listen and Think each time you cross the road.

  • Be aware that parked cars can block your view of traffic.

  • Don’t use your mobile phones when crossing the road or when in traffic.

When possible cross at a zebra crossing or at traffic light. Remember:

  • Never stand on the edge of the kerb.

  • Make sure you can clearly see traffic in both directions before crossing.

  • Stop, Look, Listen and Think every time you cross the road.

Schermata 2022-04-25 alle 14.10.56.png


The three most commonly used emergency services in the UK are the police, fire service and emergency medical service. Other services available include mountain rescue, cave rescue, coastguard and lifeboat.

You must only call the emergency services number in the case of a real emergency. You should not call them because you get locked out of your house or if you have a nose bleed for example.

To contact the services in case of an emergency, you call 999 or 112. These calls can be made from any phone and are free of charge.


The police deal with the safety of the community and act to reduce crimes against people and property. As a tourist the most likely reason to contact the police would be if you were the victim of property theft, such as a handbag, wallet or camera etc.

Fire Service

The fire service deal with fire and rescue operations. They also attend other emergencies, and it is quite common to see a fire engine at a car crash.

Emergency Medical Service

The emergency medical service provides ambulances and staff to deal with medical emergencies. An ambulance would usually be called if someone is hurt too badly to be taken to the ER by a friend.

bottom of page